Aeronáutica Naval Española
With Military Aviation already established in Spain and the first experiences of World War I still ongoing, the Minister of the Navy Almirante Manuel de Flórez, submitted to the consideration of the Council of Ministers the project for the creation of Naval Aviation, which deserved approval. of HM King Alfonso XIII, on September 15, 1917.
In April 1918, the Navy placed the responsibility of organizing and giving life to Naval Aviation to Lieutenant Commander Cardona, who had already shown imagination and talent for planning when, with the employment of Alférez de Navío, he won the contest for regeneration. of the Navy summoned after the events of 1898.
With a clear objective, a persistent will and collective effort, Cardona and the human team that selected, studied models, visited factories, analyzed publications and investigated possible synergies, until setting up a Naval Aeronautics, which already in 1925 had the first aircraft. and airships, a naval air base in El Prat de Llobregat and a naval crews training school.
Cultural offer of the city of San Fernando (Cádiz) linked to Naval Aviation:
In the Pantheon of Illustrious Marines rest the mortal remains of Augusto Miranda y Godoy (1855-1910), Minister of the Navy, promoter of the Spanish Naval Aviation; Pedro María Cardona Prieto (1872-1936), Captain of the Ship, first head of the Spanish Naval Aviation; Juan Manuel Duran y González (1899-1926), Navy Lieutenant of the first promotion of naval aviators.
The only Bell AH-1G Huey-Cobra helicopter from the old Seventh Squadron of Navy Aircraft that has been preserved in Spain is on display next to the Pantheon of Illustrious Seamen at the Navy's NCO School.
The Naval Museum of San Fernando has an explanatory exhibition room of the Spanish Naval Aviation, in which the only Bell 47G helicopter of the former First Squadron of Aircraft of the Navy that is preserved in Spain.
From the promenade of the Bahía Sur Shopping Center you can see the Puntales neighborhood, in Cadiz, next to which in 1926 the first aeronautical factory in the Bay of Cádiz was built, which was visited by King Alfonso XIII in 1930. Together A seaplane base was established at the factory, which in 1932 was moved to Punta de la Cantera, which can also be seen from the seafront.
Actividad subvencionada por la Secretaría General de Política de Defensa del Ministerio de Defensa